Applications with an international first degree
The application procedure differs depending on where applicants have obtained their first academic degree.
All applicants who completed a first academic degree course outside of Germany have to apply via uni assist.
- First, please inform yourself whether your international degree is acknowledged in Germany: https://anabin.kmk.org/service/informationsportale-zur-anerkennung.html
- The anabin information portal, run by the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZaB), provides information on whether your university and study programme is recognised and if the degree is equivalent to a German bachelor`s programme
- Inform yourself about the master´s degree programmes we offer:
- You must have completed a first degree course in a related subject or be planing to complete such a degree this term. This course must be equivalent to a German bachelor`s programme and have been awarded by a university. Your studies will be recognised in Germany only provided that this condition is also fulfilled.
- Please be aware that there are five master´s degree programmes offered in English:
- Culture and Environment in Africa
- Cultural and Intellectual History between East and West
- English Studies
- North American Studies
- All other master´s degree programmes are taught in German and require a very good knowledge of the German language.
- Please apply via uni-assist: https://www.uni-assist.de/online/?lang=en
- The application via uni-assist requires fees. Exceptions: The costs of applicants who have a degree obtained within the EU are paid by the Faculty. All other applicants have to pay the fees irrespectively of the results of the application procedure.
- This winterterm online application is possible without sending the documents to uni assist. The certified copies or originals have to be handed in when you will enroll at our University. This is an exception due to the Corona Pandemic.
- Be aware that only officially certified copies of your certificates and the transcript of subjects and marks for your first degree together with certified translations are accepted. These documents have to be handed in with your enrollment or latest six month after the enrollment.
For the Master of Education (M.Ed.) you have to apply here: http://zfl.uni-koeln.de/bewerbung-master-lehramt.html, for the programmes of the Faculty of Human Sciences you have to apply here: https://www.hf.uni-koeln.de/33728 (application for the winter term only).